Saturday, 09 March 2013 04:00

Jonathan Harriman Hale

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Jonathan Harriman Hale


Olive Boynton

[Usually when writing the history of an ancestor, it is difficult to find enough information

to "paint the whole picture.” With Jonathan, we have been blessed to have a book written about him

and his family, as well as his service in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The problem,

therefore, is in selecting the highlights that will tell the story of this faithful couple and do them the

honor they deserve.]


While many of the details of our ancestors in their youth are lost to

history, enough information exists to know that the home of Solomon and

Martha Harriman Hale provided a congenial and desirable atmosphere for

raising their family. They seemed to have a fairly large estate in Bradford

(now Groveland), Massachusetts. They had a family of eight children, two

boys and six girls. Jonathan was the fourth child, born 1 February 1800.

Since there were only two boys, Jonathan stayed at the family home longer

than was usual at that time, to help in working the family farm. He was in his

twenty-fourth year when he set out on his own. Leaving his lifelong home in

Bradford, he settled in Dover, New Hampshire, about 40 miles to the north.

This was in September 1824. He went into the butchering business with

Stephen Palmer, his sister's husband.

Jonathan must have carried on a courtship with Olive Boynton while

still in Bradford, as they were wed on 1 September 1825. Olive was the

daughter of Eliphalet and Susannah Nichols Boynton, the second of four

children. Olive also was born in Bradford, on 13 June 1834. Following their

marriage in Bradford, the newlyweds established their home in Dover, New

Hampshire. Their first child, Sarah died the day she was born. Their second

child, our ancestor Aroet Lucius Little Hale, was born 18 May 1828 in Dover.

Following his birth, the family moved back to their hometown of Bradford.

Their third child, Rachel Johnson Savory Hale, was born there on 27 August


In the month of March 1831, the family returned to Dover, New Hampshire. In Jonathan's journal, he states that he went to the Fox Islands to purchase a ship load of sheep. We presume he and his brother-in-law werebuying and selling livestock, principally beef and mutton. This business continued until 31 March 1835.

During the Spring of 1834, missionaries came into the neighborhood,

bearing the astounding message of angels, gold plates, and the restoration of

the gospel of Jesus Christ. Olive and Jonathan attended their meetings,

listened, discussed, held in their hands the Book of Mormon which they were

permitted to read, and they prayed. Two hearts were touched - two minds

were illuminated with understanding - two souls were convinced of the truth -

and Jonathan and Olive were baptized into the Church on the 13th of June

1834. The ordinance was administered by Elder Gladden Bishop, President

of the Branch of the Church at Westfield, N.Y.

Jonathan had a burning testimony, and a desire to share it with friends

and family. Within two months there were enough members for a Branch to

be organized. Elder Bishop ordained Jonathan an Elder and appointed him

President of the Branch at Dover. He held this position until April 1835.

In due course, a very natural thing developed in Jonathan, and that was

an insatiable desire to meet the Prophet Joseph Smith, about whom he had

heard so much. He left Dover on 10 April 1835 and headed for the Church

headquarters in Kirtland, Ohio. He joined his cousins, Henry Harriman and

Jonathan Holmes, and together they made the 18-day journey to Kirtland.

They found the Prophet to be a handsome young man about 30, tall and

athletic in appearance, with a magnetic personality, approachable and kindly,

strong in his convictions and confident in his position. He received the three

strangers as brothers, took them into his confidence, and administered not

only to their physical needs, but gave them the kind of food their souls

hungered for. Jonathan recorded in his Journal at the time that he had there

"received many blessings," but did not enumerate them except to say that one

of them was a Patriarchal Blessing given to him by Joseph Smith Sr.

The integrity and abilities of Jonathan were immediately recognized by

the Prophet and his associates. Within a week he was called to go on a short

mission to the Eastern States with the Apostles. (It is noted here that the

Quorum of Twelve was not organized until February 1835. This, therefore,

was the first mission of the Quorum.) They left 4 May 1835 and took a

                steamer to New York where they preached for some time. [Part of their travels included a stay at the home of Elder Heman Hyde, another of our ancestors.]

Jonathan and Thomas B. Marsh then left on a two-week trip to Palmyra and

Hill Cumorah. They visited the home of Martin Harris at this time. On 8

June 1835 he returned to his home in Dover, having traveled 1550 miles

during those two months.

About six weeks later he was called to meet with the Apostles again, and

traveled extensively with them, transporting them with his team and wagon.

He had traveled about 440 miles on this mission. When he returned home,

he settled his business affairs and then moved his family back to Bradford,

lived with his wife's parents, and assisted them in selling their property. This

was done prior to June 1836.

While there, they were blessed with the birth of their fourth child, a son,

which they named Alma Helaman Hale. He was born 24 April 1836. Two

months later, Jonathan, Olive and their children began the 750-mile trip to

Kirtland, where the Prophet had asked the saints to gather. Olive's sister,

Clarissa and her husband Henry Harriman also made the trip with them. For

the baby Alma, they made a bed in a little basket tied to the wagon bows, like

a hammock. He had a very comfortable trip.

Jonathan immediately set about to build a home for his family as well

as attend to his Church duties. During the winter of 1836-7 he was ordained

to the office of Seventy and was made a member of the Third Quorum of

Seventy. In April 1837 he received the ordinances of the Temple as far as

they were provided at that time. On April 6, 1837, he met in the Temple with

the Saints in a Solemn Assembly. The full endowment was never

administered in the Kirtland Temple. In November 1836 Olive received her

Patriarchal blessing by Joseph Smith Sr.

In May 1837, Elder Wilford Woodruff and Jonathan were called on a

mission to the Eastern States, Canada, and the Fox Islands. Jonathan had

provided a comfortable home in Kirtland for his family. The family of W ilford

Woodruff stayed with Olive while Jonathan and Wilford were on their


The Elders traveled most of their mission on foot, using the canal

system when available. They also used a train in New York, traveling 80 miles

             in five hours. They held conferences, healed the sick, baptized, and met other missionaries who were on their way to their fields of labor. Jonathan spent a

full month preaching and visiting his family members in the Bradford area.

He rejoiced to be with his family, but was unable to persuade any of them to

join the Church. Olive's parents did not join, but others of her family

members accepted the gospel.

Elders Woodruff and Hale made history as they left Portland, Maine for

the Fox Islands. They not only were the first missionaries to the Fox Islands,

but the first missionaries in this dispensation to any islands of the sea.

Jonathan baptized Capt. Justus Eames and his wife Betsy. These were the

first baptisms he performed, as well as the first baptisms into the Church on

the islands of the sea. The two Elders spent a total of 42 days on the Islands;

they had covered the entire territory with their earnest preaching and fervent

testimonies. Elder Hale had baptized nine and Elder Woodruff two, making

eleven new converts to the Church. They left for the mainland on 2 October

1837. He and Elder Woodruff had travel 2000 miles in their labors. They

parted company and Jonathan again went to visit family members before

returning to Ohio on 28 October 1837.

Jonathan and his family rejoiced at being together again, especially since

he felt his efforts were needed with his family and his personal affairs. In just

a few weeks he was called by the Prophet to another mission to the southwest

area of Ohio. On 2 Jan 1838 he left for this mission. Several weeks later, on

February 12, Elder Hale received a letter from his wife stating that the

Prophet and Sidney Rigdon had fled for their lives from Kirtland on January

12. Their enemies had burned the printing office and had taken many

prisoners. This was alarming news, and Jonathan felt he should return

immediately to Kirtland. They were about 100 miles from home. They left

the next morning, Tuesday, traveled all one night and were able to reach

Kirtland Friday night at 11:00. This was February 16, 1838. He found his

family all well. Even though his mission was cut short, he had spent 46 days

in the field and traveled 399 miles, holding meetings once and sometimes

twice daily.

In early March, it was determined that the Saints would move as a

camp, to Missouri. A constitution was drafted consisting of rules governing

the organization and the movement in general. Jonathan was appointed a

treasurer and purchasing agent. Because of the dire poverty of the Saints,

             opposition from members within the Church, depression of the members over these        conditions, as well as other conditions, it was no small task for Jonathan to ready his family as well as raise money to provide for all the Saints to leave.On the 6th of July 1838 the caravan left Kirtland. The camp consistedof 529 souls, 96 horses, 22 oxen, 68 cows, 59 wagons, and about 33 tents,with provisions. They camped at Bath, Green Co., Ohio for one month during which time Jonathan was engaged in buying provisions for the camp. They had traveled 251 miles and arrived there July 28. On the way, they were met by the Sheriff and his deputies, who took Jonathan and two other brethren and put them in prison in Mansfield, July 16. The next morning they were taken to court and charged with being stockholders in the Kirtland Safety Society Bank. The charge was not sustained and they were released at noon. Church history notes that Jonathan was mistaken for Joseph Young. "We were glad and thanked the Lord for deliverance out of the hands of our enemies," Jonathan recorded.

By way of summary, during the long and wearisome trek of 870 miles

from Kirtland to Far West they were compelled to halt frequently to repair

broken wagons, replace worn out oxen, nurse the sick and bury the dead. It

is recorded that 15 miles was considered a good day’s journey. There were

instances where contracts were taken for building roads, bridges, harvesting

crops, and doing other lines of work to earn money and to restock their

needed supply of food and provisions. It was not an infrequent occurrence to

be denied camping places in the open, near settlements, and often they were

refused the sale of food for themselves and their animals for cash, because they

were found to be Mormons.

Having been en route three months, lacking four days, this weary band

of over a half thousand pilgrims came happily to their journey's end at Far

West, Missouri on Tuesday, October 2, 1838 at 5:00 p.m. - then the Western

frontier of America. Five miles from the city they were met, and escorted into

the city by the First Presidency. They camped on the public square around

the foundation of the Temple. (This temple was never completed.)

The following day the camp was moved out to Ambrosial Creek, led by

the Prophet Joseph. Their journey was at an end, and Far West was now

designated as the headquarters of the Church. Jonathan was given a certificate by the Prophet, stating that he was in good standing and authorized to preach

     the gospel. This was made necessary to distinguish the tried and true leaders

from those who were dissenting and turning against the prophet.

The mob activity followed them to Far West and a short time later,

Governor Boggs issued his order for the Mormons to be exterminated, that

there should be no Mormon left in the state. Many atrocities were committed

against the Saints and they again had to "move on.” Jonathan and his cousin

Henry Harriman, were part of a group of five that were allowed to pass

through Davies County and retrieve the belongings of those who had fled the

county. In February 1839, the Hales moved to Quincy, Illinois, thus ending

the terrible conditions endured by the Saints.

The state of Illinois, through its Governor, its county and municipal

officers, extended welcome hands to the exiled Saints, and they began

gathering into that state by hundreds and by thousands. The prophet and

some of the other leaders were confined in Liberty Jail at this time. Certain

others of the apostles became panic stricken before the mob, and fled to other

parts. Some apostatized and never came back, while others later returned.

The people were scattered over a wide area, like sheep without a shepherd.

Brigham Young, then President of the Quorum of Twelve Apostles, gathered

about him the leading, dependable and loyal men of the Church. Jonathan

was among this group. He spent about five weeks there, pursuing the work

assigned to him.

Jonathan made acquaintance of a Mr. Robert Stilson, who owned a farm

about 20 miles east of Quincy. They made an agreement for Jonathan to rent

the farm for two years. Jonathan could keep all he could produce on the farm,

as well as be paid for any improvements he made, such as fences and

buildings. Therefore he was able to provide a home for his family, and

eventually had enough to outfit himself with a good wagon, team, harness and

the other things he needed for the next move with the Saints. The leaders of

the Church had already decided to find a new location somewhere on the

Illinois side of the Mississippi, and extend the settlement over into Iowa.

While at the Stilson farm, the family was blessed with their fifth child, who

was named Solomon.

In April 1839, the Prophet was allowed to escape, and he returned

directly to Quincy. He and the brethren immediately began to lay plans for another gathering place. He purchased a large tract of land at Commerce

           (later renamed Nauvoo). On May 4-6 the Prophet conducted a conference and

organized a Stake. Missions were set in order and the Saints were greatly

heartened. Jonathan participated in this conference. The Prophet left with

his family and established themselves in Nauvoo. Later in the month, the

Church purchased the town of Nashville, Lee County, Iowa as well as

Montrose, Iowa, across the river from Nauvoo.

By December, Jonathan had his affairs enough in order to leave on

another mission. On 18 December 1839, he directed his course across the

southern portion of Illinois, through Indiana and over into Kentucky. Elder

Lewis Ziegler accompanied him for a certain distance. The rest of his mission

was apparently conducted alone. In February he returned home to Quincy,

having traveled approximately 1000 miles.

The observation is made at this time that if Jonathan H. Hale ever

found fault with the Church or its leaders, if he ever felt discouraged or to

complain of his heavy burdens, if he ever doubted or hesitated in his onward

course, there is not a word in all that he ever wrote to indicate it. The author

of the book has painstakingly read everything which Jonathan himself is

known to have written, and has as well, carefully examined all that has been

written about him. Of comparatively few men of those days can such in fact

be said. This reveals the steadfastness and trustworthiness of the man.

The next two years were spent working the farm and attending to

Church duties. This was the first time that Aroet 12, and Rachel 11, had the

opportunity to attend school. By the spring of 1841, the family had been able

to replace the losses suffered from the mobs. Jonathan settled his business

relations with Mr. Stilson regarding the farm, loaded all his earthly belongings

into the wagon, and with his wife and four children headed for Nauvoo, the

new gathering place, about 50 miles north.

A five-day conference was held in April, and Jonathan was ordained a

High Priest, and set apart as counselor to the newly called Bishop Newel K.

Whitney of the Middle Ward of Nauvoo. The cornerstones for the temple

were also placed at this conference. In Aroet's personal history, he wrote,

"Father began hauling rock for the Temple, and never ceased until he had paid

up two and one-half years back tithing." Jonathan carried on through the year

           1841, completing a home for his family, improving and farming his land, looking after his duties in the Bishopric of the Middle Ward, and working on the Temple. By November 1842, baptisms for the dead, which had been performed in the river, were for the first time commenced in the baptismal font in the Temple.

While in Nauvoo, Olive and Jonathan were favored with the birth of

their sixth child, their fourth boy, whom they named Jonathan Eliphalet Hale.

But this child lived only 6½ months, and died in Nauvoo, 22 July 1842.

The city continued to grow. At the conference in July, at the grove, Joseph

Smith approximated the audience to be about 8,000 people. On 6 August

1842, Joseph uttered a prophecy to a group of brethren, that the Saints would

continue to be persecuted and would be driven to the Rocky Mountains.

"Many will apostatize, others will be put to death by our persecutors, or lose

their lives in consequence of exposure or disease; some of you will live to go

and assist in making settlements and build cities and see the Saints become

a mighty people in the midst of the Rocky Mountains." In August Jonathan

was called to be Bishop of the Ninth Ward of Nauvoo.

The generous and kindly nature of Bishop Hale and his devoted wife

may clearly be seen in their action in taking into their home William and Peter

Winward - two boys about 12 and 10 years of age, who had been left homeless

and alone upon the death of their father in Nauvoo, in October 1842.

William was very ill at the time and Sister Hale was four months in nursing

him back to health. The boys were taken care of in this hospitable home for

about a year and a half, when Bishop Hale found desirable places for them on

farms near the City of Nauvoo. Their mother was in England, but the boys

declined to go back to that country. They eventually came to Utah, becoming

active and influential citizens with splendid families. William located in

South Jordan and Peter in Payson.

In the Winter of 1842, Jonathan was elected an assessor and tax

collector, served on a jury and was appointed a recorder of baptisms for the

dead. In 1843 he was reappointed tax collector and assessor, as well as a

district School Director.

In January of 1844, at a council meeting in Nauvoo, it was decided and

announced that Joseph Smith would be a candidate for the President of the

United States. Joseph declared, "It is morally impossible for this people, in justice to themselves, to vote for the reelection of President Van Buren – a man who criminally neglected his duties as Chief Magistrate in the cold and

unblushing manner which he did, when appealed to for aid in the Missouri

difficulties. . . ."

The council selected 337 men to take special missions to all the states

of the Union presenting "General Smith's views on the powers and policy of

the general government," and holding conferences and preaching the gospel,

"where opportunities present." Bishop Hale's assignment was to the State of

Maine. This was his sixth mission. We do not have details of his mission, but

know that he performed it.

The Hale home in Nauvoo was gladdened by the birth of a second

daughter, Olive Susan, born on 14 March 1844.

It needs to be mentioned here that Jonathan was a member of the

Nauvoo Legion, along with his other duties. The Prophet held the position

of Lieut. General, and Jonathan H. Hale, that of Lieut. Colonel. We also need

to note that Jonathan's son Aroet, a husky lad of 16, is listed among the

members of the Nauvoo Legion band, in which he played as drummer.

In the Spring of 1844, the prophet was apprised of a secret movement

being organized to take his life, as well as the lives of several other leading

men of the Church, including the Prophet's brother Hyrum. The destruction

of the press of The Nauvoo Expositor after printing only one issue of

inflammatory remarks about the Mormons, was all that was needed to incite

mobs to action. Joseph and Hyrum were taken to jail in Carthage, the Nauvoo

Legion was relieved of their arms and ammunition, and a pall of gloom spread

over Nauvoo.

Jonathan recorded a day by day account of what transpired from 18

June until 7 July 1844. The Legion members had been left to arm themselves

with privately owned arms. On 6 July a letter came from the Governor which

dismissed the Legion, except police. On 7 July, all provisions were put into

the hands of the Bishops for the poor.

Brigham Young and most of the twelve were on missions when the

Prophet was killed. It was about a month before they heard the news, uponwhich they immediately began their return journey to Nauvoo.

                 Brigham recorded in his journal on 21 February 1844 the subject of

their council meeting that day. The Prophet Joseph directed the Twelve "to

select an exploring company to go to California to select a location for the

settlement of the Saints. It was agreed that the company should number


At the special conference held on 8 October 1844, the members

unanimously sustained the Quorum of Twelve with Brigham Young at their

head, as leaders of the Church. Immediately they set about putting things in

order and calling missionaries to various parts of the United States and

England. At this same conference "President Young proceeded to select men

from the High Priests' Quorum to go abroad in all the Congressional districts

of the United States, to preside over the Branches of the Church." Among

those so selected was Jonathan H. Hale. This was his seventh mission.

Meanwhile, all along, Jonathan was active in the official ranks of the

Nauvoo Legion, which was kept in good organized form as minutemen, for

protection of the people and their property in Nauvoo. Sometime between

September 12 and the 5th of October, Jonathan was made Colonel-President

of the 3rd Regiment, 2nd Cohort, of the Nauvoo Legion. This is evidenced

by an original document of the Legion where the Adjutant Pro tem and

Secretary, certify over his signature a list of the officers on 5 October 1844.

With the beginning of another year, another mission call came to

Jonathan from the General Authorities. This was a “special” mission which

was in addition to the duties he already had. Forty-six brethren were

appointed "to collect donations and tithing for the Temple in Nauvoo, and for

other purposes, having complied with all necessary requirements by entering

into bonds to our entire satisfaction. We hope they will be received as such

by all people wherever they may travel." Thus read the official certificate given

these special missionaries.

Early in this year, two seriously significant movements began to take

form. One was dark and forebode much evil - it was the gathering cloud of

mobocracy and persecution. The other, which grew out of the first, was a

definite plan beginning to take form toward a wholesale migration of the

Saints to the great West.

Brother Brigham said the temple must be completed first; so Jonathan

and the other special agents of the Church increased their activity and were

able to bring in sufficient funds to make possible the laying of the capstone on

the sacred edifice by May of this year. William Clayton wrote in his Journal

under date of 24 May 1845: "The last stone is laid upon the Temple, and I

pray the Almighty, in the name of Jesus, to defend us in this place and sustain

us until the Temple is finished and we have all got our endowments."

By September, conditions had become so serious that President Young

appointed Jonathan Hale and certain other men to "forthwith assist with

teams, the brethren in the country to move their best grain as well as their

families into Nauvoo" for protection. In response to this call of distress,

Jonathan and his committee speedily got together and sent out 134 teams and

wagons to bring in the persecuted Saints scattered in the country districts of

Illinois and Iowa.

The temple was completed enough to permit the holding of General

Conference within its walls, 5 October 1845, attended by about five thousand

of the faithful. This was the first and the last conference of the Church held

in this holy sanctuary.

The attentions and energies of the Saints turned toward preparations

to evacuate their beautiful city and commence an unparalleled pilgrimage to

the great West. Nauvoo was then the largest city in Illinois, triple the size of


On 11 October 1845 a special meeting was called by President Young

to organize 25 companies "with captains of hundreds" preparatory to the great

move. Jonathan H. Hale was made Captain of Company No. 21. Parley P.

Pratt calculated that an outfit which every family of five persons would

require, should consist of the following: 1 good wagon, 3 sheep, 1000 pounds

flour, 1 rifle and ammunition, 3 yoke of cattle, 25 pounds of sugar, 1 tent

and tent poles, 2 cows, and 2 beef cattle. All this was to cost about $250 if

the family had nothing to begin with, except clothing, bedding and cooking

utensils. The weight would be about 2700 pounds, including the family, but

counting on the family to walk most of the way, would reduce the load to

about 1900 pounds.

Nauvoo presented a busy scene in those days. Men were hurrying to

and fro collecting wagons and putting them in repair; the roar of the smith's

forge was well nigh perpetual. Brigham Young and his associates studied

maps and reports of the Great Salt Lake basin. Thus passed the year 1845.

There is but little mention in the book of the Temple. We do know that

both Jonathan and Olive received their endowments on 22 December 1845

and that they were sealed on 27 January 1846. Heber C. Kimball and

Jonathan Hale arranged for Aroet Hale to be ordained an Elder and receive his

endowments. Then Jonathan, at Apostle Kimball's request, let Aroet

accompany the Kimball party as teamster. Bishop Hale remained in Nauvoo

to help the people secure outfits and traveling equipment. This was

particularly a difficult task in the cases of many who had neither equipment,

nor money with which to purchase. By March the great caravan, organized

into companies, was on its way westward across the plains of Iowa, and by the

first of June, more than 900 wagons were on the road.

Jonathan succeeded in outfitting his company and they were on their

way in early June. Aroet had returned to help him, and met him part way.

The company safely arrived at Council Bluffs, a distance of 300 miles on 16

July 1846.

On 13 July 1846, President Young met with military men representing

the United States with a request for a battalion of men to help fight the war

with Mexico. Four companies were raised. A few days later, Bishop Hale and

Aroet attended another meeting where another company was raised. Aroet

stepped forward to volunteer, but was counseled by Heber Kimball to remain

to help his family. Jonathan had a broken leg, and Olive was expecting

another child. Aroet took the counsel and stayed with the family.

The Saints continued to arrive by the hundreds, and it was obvious that

they would have to remain the winter in Council Bluffs. On 17 July 1846,

the day after Jonathan's arrival, another meeting was held. Several men were

selected to be Bishops and assist the families of the Battalion members. They

also were to assist in bringing the poor who had been left in Nauvoo, and not

stop until all who wanted to come were able. Jonathan H. Hale was one of the

men selected for this purpose. Four days later, another meeting was called

and twelve men were called to preside in all matters spiritual and temporal.

Both Heman Hyde and Jonathan were called to this position. That same day

he was given the assignment, with two others to go to Fort Leavenworth and

receive the pay from the Battalion members on behalf of their families.

On 27 August 1846, Olive gave birth in a tent, on the ground, to a

daughter, Clarissa Martha. She was the fourth daughter, and the eighth and

last child born to this union.

At the high council meeting held on 5 September 1846, the startling

announcement was given, "Bishop Jonathan H. Hale is dead." Even though

weary clear through, he was always "at his post" filling the callings and

assignments that had been given him. He eventually came down with malaria,

so common in the camp at this time. He was forced to lie down to rest, never

to get up again. He died at the age of 46 years. Just four days later, his

faithful wife Olive, then sick in her tent with baby Clarissa, now weak and

weary of body and mind, had come to the end of her earthly pilgrimage.

Olive, with her devoted husband, had borne the relentless persecutions,

hardships and privations. She could go no farther, and she joined her

husband on 8 September 1846. As if this were not enough, little Olive Susan,

then two and a half years of age, died of the same malady on 15th of

September. And baby Clarissa Martha succumbed on the 18th of September.

She was just 22 days old.

When Jonathan was on his sick bed, he called his family near to counsel

them and bid them goodbye. He gave them his blessing and said, "Stand by

the Faith and continue on with Brother Brigham and Brother Heber to the

Rocky Mountains. It is God's work and we must not fail. Do not be

persuaded to turn back, even though our relatives insist upon it. Go with the

Church and God will bless and preserve you."

Shortly before Olive died, she called the children to her side and

showered upon them the affection and love that only such a Mother could

bestow. She realized that with her going, the children would be left alone, and

she admonished them to follow the counsel given them by their dying Father,

to go with President Young and the Brethren to the mountains, and to remain

true and faithful. Then she turned to Aroet, who was the oldest in the family,

and asked him to promise that he would see that this was done. When Aroet

answered that he would do so, Olive smiled sweetly, and said she could now

"go with Jonathan." She then peacefully passed over to him.

While in Nauvoo, Olive had made temple robes for herself and

Jonathan. They were buried in these robes in a grave that would also hold

their little daughters. The other four children were now orphans, left to make

the trek to the west, keeping the faith, and keeping the promises made to

faithful parents.



Source: Bishop Jonathan H. Hale of Nauvoo His Life and Ministry, by Heber Q. Hale 1938



Compiled by Barbara Winward Seager July 1997 

Read 737 times

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.