Saturday, 09 March 2013 04:05

Richard Doughty Treseder

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Richard Doughty Treseder


Elizabeth McKay

Francis Treseder, shipbuilder, and his wife Charlotte Doughty, were the

parents of our Treseder immigrant, Richard Doughty Treseder. They had six

children, the fourth was Richard Doughty Treseder, who was born in

Devonport, Devonshire, England on 1 March 1813. Richard married

Elizabeth McKay, the daughter of another shipwright, Thomas McKay and his

wife Elizabeth Holland. Elizabeth was born 19 November 1811 in

Queenstown, Cork, Ireland. Her father was born in Crief, Perth, Scotland

and her mother was born in England. She married Richard in East

Stenhouse, Devonshire, England on 4 November 1833. They became the

parents of thirteen children. Richard and Elizabeth, along with their children,

took a long and circuitous route to Utah. Their first two children were born

in the borough of Southwark, London, England - Charles in 1835 and

Richard in 1836. Richard died seven months later. Another son, Richard

McKay was born in Devonport, Devonshire, England in 1838.

Apparently Richard decided to not follow in his father's profession of

shipbuilding, but became a tailor. His sons, Charles and Richard McKay also

chose this profession, all three becoming "master tailors.” Between 1838 and

1840, Richard, Elizabeth and their two children, migrated to St. Helier, Isle

of Jersey, in the Channel Islands off the coast of France. The islands were

under British rule, but because of the close proximity to France, the dominant

language and influence was French. The Isle of Jersey has an area of 45

square miles, the island being 10 miles long and 6 ½ miles broad. Ten of the

Treseder children were born here. Our line descends through the tenth child,

Mary Maud, born 20 June 1849.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ was accepted in the Treseder home, after

being introduced by the missionaries. Richard was baptized on the 17th of

November 1847. Elizabeth and their son Richard McKay were baptized three

days later. They were all baptized by Elder Ballam. Apparently the Treseder

family had been stalwarts of the Branch in St. Helier. The following is a

testimonial to Richard in 1855 when the family prepared to leave for America:




St. Helier Branch, Channel Islands Conference of

Latter-day Saints March 29th 1855

We take pleasure by congratulating you that at length you are

about to bid farewell to "Babylon," and with your family go to Zion,

the home of the Saints. But while we rejoice on your account, we

feel it is hard to part, not only because of the friendship existing

between us, but on account of your perseverance and zeal in building

up the Kingdom of God on this island Jersey.

When we call to mind that while laboring to support a large

family, your pocket and hand have ever been open to support the

servants of God and advance the interest of the church; that you

have presided over "St. Helier Branch,” and assisted by Elder

Dunbar, raised up and presided over the "Gorey Branch,” advised

and comforted the Saints, we feel that words are but empty sounds

in attempting to convince you of the respect and esteem in which

you are held by us. But be assured that long after this paper has

wasted and decayed, your labors and faithfulness will be remembered

by the Saints of Jersey.

And our prayer will be that yourself, your wife who has ever

been respected and esteemed by us, and your children, may be safely

wafted over every billow, through every storm, and preserved from

the power of the "destroyer" while crossing the plains and arriving in

Salt Lake Valley. Receive and enjoy every good blessing Hoping

that when it is well with you, you will remember the poor suffering

Saints of St. Helier.

The President of the French Mission

W. C. Dunbar

The President of the Channel Islands Conference

G. Kerby George Grigg Charles Herman

William Quinsee L.A. Bertiano J. A. Tranchard

John Lemasurier Jean Le Sueur John Masett

Elisa Cave L.A. Bertrand Soripsit Frs. Degyte: Gean




Thus, began the long journey of the Treseder family. Four of their

children died and were buried in Jersey. Richard, Elizabeth, and their eight

remaining children, joined the large group of Saints on their pilgrimage to the

Salt Lake Valley. The children ranged in age, from twenty to one. They left

Jersey on 29 March 1855, bound for Liverpool by way of Dublin, Ireland.

They remained in Liverpool until the 15th of April, when they boarded the

ship Chimborazo. They set sail the same day, were on the water about five

weeks, and landed in Philadelphia 22 May 1855 according to the ship's


From here I digress to two records of others who made this same

journey. First, is from a history written by Francis De St.Joer, a convert from

Jersey. His story was printed in the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers book,

Our Pioneer Heritage. Following that is a story taken from the Early Church

Membership Records compiled by BYU, on microfiche in the Family History

Centers. It is a story of Andrew L. Lamoreaux, president of the French

Mission. Both men were on the ship Chimborazo with our Treseder family.

Thus, this also becomes their story.

Francis De St.Joer: "The large company of Saints was

organized under A. Lamoreaux. It was divided into wards. I was

appointed over one of the wards known as the French Company.

We landed at Philadelphia (22 May 1855). We went on board the

cars the next morning bound for Pittsburgh. We took the

steamboat for St. Louis. On our arrival in St. Louis we were told

to remain there for a short time. The company was sent to a camp

at a place called The Gravery, about three miles from St. Louis. I

was appointed to preside over the company.

"When Apostle Erastus Snow came down from Atchison, I

was asked to come to St. Louis. At his office I was introduced to

him by Elder James Hart. He asked if I could take the company

of Saints up the river to Atchison. I told him that I would do my

best. He said, 'Go and God bless you.’ We were to be ready by

nine o'clock the next morning. I went back to the Saints and

informed them of Brother Snow's request and we all worked hard

to be ready. By morning we had all our luggage on board the

steamer. The company consisted of 204 souls. When all things

were ready, we left the wharves and steamed up the river to

Atchison, Kansas. We were twelve days making the journey up the

river. When we arrived, we camped on the banks of the river. The

next morning we moved by ox team about three miles from the

river to what was known as Mormon Grove. We camped there for

some time making preparation for crossing of the plains. [We

leave this story here, as this group continued on to Utah, arriving

in October 1855. Apparently Richard M. stayed with this group

as he traveled with the Milo Andrus Company and arrived in the

valley in 1855. The rest of the family stayed in the Pennsylvania

/ New York area to earn the funds for their journey.] ...Elder

Lamoreaux arrived in St. Louis, Missouri 2 June 1855, with

several hundred passengers, who had crossed the Atlantic in the

ship, Chimborazo . . . On arriving at St. Louis he took up his

residence with James H. Hart, his counselor during the first twelve

months of his presidency of the French mission. Elder Lamoreaux

spent Sunday, June 10th, at the camp, instructing and counseling

the Saints under his charge. In the evening he addressed the

congregation in a large church with considerable spirit and energy

and every soul appeared to rejoice under his spiritual and excellent

remarks. Elder Lamoreaux had been suffering several days with

diarrhea and remarked that what on all former occasions had

relieved him appeared to have no effect upon him this time. He

continued to grow worse, sickness and cramps seizing upon his

robust frame, causing a gradual and certain decline. The Elders

and some of the sisters were very attentive to him during his

sufferings and administered to him repeatedly, but his spirit finally

took its flight on Wednesday, June 18, 1855, the immediate cause

of his death being the so-called Asiatic cholera. The St. Louis

Luminary, a periodical published in the interest of the Church at

St. Louis, Missouri, at that time spoke very highly of the

faithfulness and integrity of Elder Lamoreaux, who was held in

great esteem by all who knew him. The following is quoted from

a letter written to George A. Smith by Erastus Snow in Salt Lake

City, September 3, 1865: 'I have just learned from the family of

the late Andrew Lamoreaux that Joseph Smith, during his tour to

Washington in 1839, stopped with them in Dayton, Ohio, and

before leaving, laid his hands on Elder Lamoreaux and blessed him

and prophesied upon his head, that he would go on a mission to

France, learn another tongue, and do much good, but that he

would not live to return to his family, as he would fall by the way

as a martyr. The Prophet wept, as he blessed him and told him

these things, adding that it was pressed upon him and he could not

refrain from giving utterance to it. Elder Lamoreaux talked with

his family about it when he left them in 1852, and endeavored to

persuade them that this was not the time and mission upon which

he should fall, but to believe that he would at this time be

permitted to return again. When the Luminary brought the tidings

of his death, they exclaimed, 'Surely, Brother Joseph was a

Prophet, for all his words have come to pass.' Thinking this an

incident that should not be lost, I have penned it from the mouth

of his eldest daughter and submit it to you and would add that his

excessive labor and toil in providing for the company under his

charge during the hot weather in June, in the unhealthy climate of

St. Louis, predisposed him to that terrible scourge that laid him

low, and thus he fell a sacrifice for his brethren."

Richard and Elizabeth remained in the Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and

New York areas for the next seven years. Richard was a Branch President in

Pennsylvania and New York. Maud Mary and her older sister Elizabeth were

baptized in the Hudson River during this time.

The family began their trip west with the freight company of William

Godbe. Their belongings were transported by handcart, leaving the family to

walk to their final destination in the Salt Lake Valley. The end of their long

journey to join the Saints, came on 15 October 1862, fifteen years after their


Richard opened a small tailor shop in Salt Lake City. It was located on

Main Street between 1st and 2nd South. Maud Mary used to tell of her father

sewing as he sat cross-legged in the window of his shop, as was the custom of

tailors in that time. The family lived in Salt Lake City and the remaining

children were raised and married there.

Richard Doughty Treseder, faithful Latter-day Saint, died 25 September

1881 in Salt Lake City, and is buried in the City Cemetery. Elizabeth lived

with her children for 10 years. She was staying in North Ogden, Weber Co.,

Utah at the time of her death on 21 November 1891. She is buried beside her

eternal companion, in the Salt Lake City Cemetery. She was a very

aristocratic lady, always a lady.

The obituary of Maud M. Neeley states that the family came to Utah

seven years after arriving in America, and that they were in the William Godbe

company. Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah index has Richard D. and

Elizabeth Treseder in the Benjamin Hampton company that came to Utah 15

October 1862.


LDS Biographical Encyclopedia, Andrew Jenson, 1951, Vol 3, Pg 666

Early Church Membership File - LDS Family History Centers

Our Pioneer Heritage” - Isles of Man--Wight--Jersey, Daughters of the Utah Pioneers,

pages 537-540

History of Maud Treseder Neeley by Ada Winward Gibson

Family Group Sheets, complied by The Winward Family Organization





Compiled by Barbara Winward Seager July 1997







Read 772 times
More in this category: « Rosel Hyde Olive Amelia Whittle »

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.